Date: January 1, 2011
Location: State of Oregon Statistics
Names: Hadley Anne Alger, Collin Runnels, Anne Pendleton
Note: The reported fatality statistic may change if other information is received later by Oregon law enforcement agencies.
This year’s 78-hour New Year’s Holiday reporting period began at 6:00pm December 30 and ended at 11:59pm January 2, 2011 compared to last year’s reporting period of 102 hours.
The Oregon Department of Transportation’s Fatality Analysis Reporting System (FARS) indicated that one person died on Oregon roadways during the New Year’s Holiday reporting period. Oregon State Police (OSP) also reported more DUII arrests during the shorter 78-hour reporting period this year than last year’s 102-hour period.
The only confirmed fatal traffic crash occurred January 2, 2011 at about 11:47 a.m. when Hadley Anne Alger, age 65 of Chico, California, lost control of her vehicle on Highway 97 near milepost 218 and crashed into a pickup being driven by Collin Runnels, age 24 of Klamath Falls. Although Runnels was treated for non life-threatening injuries, his passenger, Anne Pendleton, age 24 and also of Klamath Falls, underwent emergency surgery and was reported in serious condition.
Ms. Alger, who had been returning from a vacation to visit a relative in Bend, died at the scene.
During last year’s holiday period there were no traffic fatalities in Oregon. According to FARS, an average of 5 traffic fatalities have occurred each year over the New Year’s Holiday period during the last ten years.
Preliminary DUII enforcement statistics reported by OSP troopers indicates that 79 drivers were arrested for DUII, up from the 70 DUII arrests reported during last year’s New Year’s Holiday period. More than half of the DUII arrests (43) happened on January 1st between 12:01 a.m. and 11:59 p.m. Oregon State Police offices reporting 3 or more DUII arrests were:
- Springfield Area Command – 15 DUII arrests
- Coos Bay Area Command – 8 DUII arrests
- Portland Area Command – 7 DUII arrests
- Central Point Area Command – 6 DUII arrests
- Salem Area Command – 4 DUII arrests
- Astoria Area Command – 4 DUII arrests
- The Dalles Area Command – 3 DUII arrests
- Gold Beach Work Site – 3 DUII arrests
- Grants Pass Work Site – 3 DUII arrests
- John Day Work Site – 3 DUII arrests
- Klamath Falls Area Command – 3 DUII arrests
- La Grande Area Command – 3 DUII arrests